Friday, July 21, 2006

Flatulent Friday




According to historian Eric Rabkin, the Canelos Indians believe that when they fart, the soul escapes the body along with the smell. “When in a group someone breaks wind, one of the rest will clap him on the back three times and say, ‘Uianza, uianza!’ The exact meaning of this word is unknown, but the person who farted is then obligated to prepare a uianza feast. (Alternatively, Rabkin says, the farter can discharge his obligation by giving the clapper three clay vessels of manioc beer.)

13 comments:

  1. The translation is "You fucking smelly bastard, I'm gonna knock that stuff out of you".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the translation is "You rancid smelling cunt, I'm gonna dip you in sheep dip then shove an industrial hoover nozzle up your arse"

    ReplyDelete
  3. *checks Canelos-English English-Canelos dictionary*
    Multiple meanings. Vicus and Piggy&Tazzy are both correct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy crap, my back would be left bloody and sore...plus i'd go broke from the feast making

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamer: I'm going hoarse from shouting "Uianza, uianza!" at you. Where's my beer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. looked this up in 'Rutlege Comprehensive Translations: Analogy and Semantics'.

    uianza = 'virgin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. An informative blog on farts and with some taste, unlike others I've seen recently.

    Taste/farts, taste/farts. Let me rephrase that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. is that like "i farted so bad I could taste it." ???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it only audible farts or do silent but deadlies count too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prunella: All manner of farts are included including the underwater fart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pamer: Yeah, you got it...I could taste it.

    Love your antennae. Who's your cosmetologist? And does she fart?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet someone was cooking all the time...

    ReplyDelete