Monday, April 17, 2006

TTC Tunes: 'The Toronto Subway Song' & 'Spadina Bus'



Yes, we’re gonna have a subway in Toronto.
We gotta get the working man home pronto.


Canada’s first subway opened on March 30th, 1954 in Toronto, Ontario.

The Toronto Subway Song was composed during construction of the line.

(Composed by Mel Hamill and sung by Betty Carr and Charles Baldour with Ozzie Williams Band. First recorded January 1, 1950)



Shuffle Demons

My favourite Toronto Transit Commission tune hands-down is Spadina Bus by the Shuffle Demons. Listen to a sample of Spadina Bus.

Well, I start to cuss on the Wellesley bus
And you can't go far on the College Street car
You know the Yonge Street train is a real pain
And the LRT well that’s not for me
Well, you can't have fun on the York U. run
And the Ossington trolley is just a big folly
Well, I don't give a damn about the Bathurst tram
So I'll make a fuss about Spadina Bus



(Inspiration for today’s transit post came from viewing a You Tube TTC subway ride over at Come on Pilgrim.)

2 comments:

  1. Another fantastic post MJ.

    "The Spadina Bus" used to get stuck in my head on abd off for what seemd like years.

    Thanks for reminding me of that song, I have a feeling I'll be humming it a lot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jody. They also did a great rendition of the Hockey Night in Canada Theme. Try to get that one unstuck.

    ReplyDelete